Disadvantages of Newton Raphson Method
Despite fast convergence of Newton Rapshon (NR) method, it has various drawbacks. In this tutorail you will learn various disadvantages of NR method.
Newton Rapshon (NR) method has following disadvantages (limitations):
- It's convergence is not guaranteed. So, sometimes, for given equation and for given guesswe may not get solution.
- Division by zero problem can occur.
- Root jumping might take place thereby not getting intended solution.
- Inflection point issue might occur.
- Symbolic derivative is required.
- In case of multiple roots, this method converges slowly.
- Near local maxima and local minima, due to oscillation, its convergence is slow.